Heidelberg Castle (Schloss Heidelberg)

World-famous and a byword for German Romanticism – the Heidelberg Castle. The castle ruins rise majestically over the roofs of the old town, but for five hundred years it was home to the Prince Electors of the Palatinate. Nowadays, the enigmatic castle attracts several million tourists each year.

Funicular Railway (Heidelberger Bergbahnen)

The lower funicular railway starts at Kornmarkt and runs via Heidelberg Castle station as far as Molkenkur. From there you can continue with one of the oldest electric funicular railways to the city's highest point, the Königstuhl.

Students' Prison (Studentenkarzer)

From 1778 until 1914, students were imprisoned here for so called Kavaliersdelikte (meaning minor transgressions which were kind of fashionable among otherwise honorable gentlemen inscribed at the Heidelberg University, most of them being members of student fraternities). Common offenses were disturbances of peace, especially after excessive drinking at night, insulting official authorities or playing jokes at them as well as participating in duels. Depending on the seriousness of the offense, imprisonment would last from three days to four weeks. One was allowed, however, to attend lectures. After classes, the juvenile delinquents had to return to jail. Biding their time, many of the young prisoners decorated the walls with graffitis and paintings. Their artwork is still preserved and to be seen at the Studentenkarzer.

Old Bridge (Alte Brücke)

Built of Neckar valley sandstone in the 18th century by Prince Karl Theodor, the famous Old Bridge (Alte Brücke) is one of the last large examples of classical stone bridge building. It links the old town to the banks of the Neckar at the eastern end of the Neuenheim district. The precursors of today's Old Bridge were all made of wood. As they were continually being destroyed by wars and floods, Prince Karl Theodor ordered the construction of a stone bridge across the river (1786-1788). On the city side is the medieval Bridge Gate, part of the former city wall.

Castle (Tiefburg)

The Castle (Tiefburg) in the district of Handschuhsheim was formerly a residence of noble lords. From the core of this medieval moated castle, foundation walls, the arches of the residential tower and the defensive walls are still preserved. The old mansion has been restored.

It is uncertain when and by whom the Tiefburg was built. It was possibly built in the early Middle Ages as a fortification. Traditions of the 13th and 14th centuries indicate that it was a water castle. During the 30 Years’ War, the castle suffered heavy damage.

On Saturdays, the Tiefburg serves as the romantic backdrop for a colorful weekly market. Cozy taverns with historical interiors are on every corner. Window shopping and pub-crawling can be combined wonderfully, as many young businesses set a modern tone.


Logo BOOKING2024
Logo HOTEL2023